In a recent announcement, Chrysler's Dodge brand has decided to put on its proverbial brakes after this season of NASCAR.

"We've spent an intense five months working to identify and evaluate all options for our future involvement in NASCAR," said Ralph Gilles, SRT Motorsports president. "A number of opportunities emerged, and our team worked diligently to put a structure together to fit our overall business and competitive objectives. While we have been pleased and enthused with the amount of interest from teams and sponsors over that time, in the end, we simply couldn't develop the right structure."

Much speculation has amounted this season about the automaker leaving NASCAR after a surprise decision came on March 1 by Penske, announcing that they were going to switch to Ford as a manufacturer for Sprint Cup cars next year.

Penske made the announcement just 10 days after Dodge released its 2013 Charger at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, where Gilles said leaving NASCAR was not an option.

Dodge previously left NASCAR in 1977 and did not return until 2001. Since then, Dodge cars have chalked up 55 Sprint Cup victories.